Welcome to my blog on glass, colours, inspiration and general waffle!

Wednesday 25 August 2010

I'm back!

I'm back, not only to look after my neglected blog, but from our annual holiday in Norway. Oh, what lovely three or so weeks we had. Only one day did we not take the kids to my sister's beach (not that the weather was that fantastic, they just didn't care - and I was told I could sit inside the boat house if I was bothered by the rain...)
Beach life:
summer2010-2


On a kayaking trip:
summer2010-1


Last summer in Norway I got a bit frustrated, missing my glass a lot, and so this year I decided to not think of glass at all, and not bring any glassy magazines or books. Instead I embarked on another craft that I used to love - crocheting. I asked mother and sister for some leftover yarn, of which there are loads hidden around in their various cupboards, and set to making myself a shawl in warm, lovely wool. It had to be a colourful design given the many small bundles I had to work with. I carried my work with me every time we went to the beach, and here's the result:

Holiday project - crocheted shawl


Another week or so and we're back to "normal" (i.e. school starts), and I look so much forward to spending time in my workshop. I switched on my kiln the other day, and to my dismay it didn't want to heat up. Luckily my husband is pretty clever with his meter, and it didn't take him long to realise a relay was broken. A quick call to Robin at www.electrickilns.co.uk, and I had a new relay the following day. So all is now good and ready to go!

I hope you all have had a lovely summer as well!!

4 comments:

  1. Nice to have you back Julie!

    I'm envious of 3 weeks in Norway (but not without glass!)- now your kiln is fired up, I expect to see some gorgeous creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Trudi! Another week or so and I can dive into my workshop. Don't expect too much from my rusty hands, though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Julie! What a gorgeous shawl! I love crocheting (and knitting) too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Annelyse! You may find this site interesting, with many, many FREE patterns:

    http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/kategori_oversikt.php

    ReplyDelete